In the Winmau DPA Satellite Series of 2022 on Saturday Brandon Weening returned to the Victorian Final for the second time in the weekend whilst his opponent from Friday’s final, Mal Cuming, was eliminated 5-4 by his Team Rebel stable mate, Stuart Coburn, in the semi-final stage. That semi went down to the wire with Cuming unable to convert in the final leg and Coburn snatching an outstanding match in the deciding leg. Weening had dismissed the challenge of Barry Ledington 5-2 in the other semi final. The final saw Coburn break the Weening throw straight away and then hold to lead 2-0. Both players then held throw before Coburn took a 4-1 lead thanks to a second break of throw in the fifth leg in 15 darts. Weening broke straight back and then held throw to move within a leg of his opponent. However 15 darts later (including a 112 check out) and Coburn was clear by two legs at 5-3. Weening then held throw in 17 darts before Coburn threw three 140s and then a 65 before a double 8 with his 13th dart saw Coburn win the final 6-4 and put his name in the winners circle on the 2022 DPA circuit.

In NSW Mitchell Clegg gained some revenge for his early elimination the night before as he made the final thanks to a 5-1 win over Daniel Pearson in his semi final. The other semi final saw Dave Hanel make another final by defeating the returning Zinzan Culshaw 5-1. The final saw Hanel break the Clegg throw in 15 darts on the first attempt before Clegg broke straight back. He then held throw in 16 darts before breaking for the second successive Hanel throw to move 3-1 up. By holding throw in 16 darts Clegg moved the scoreboard to 4-1. Hanel then held his own throw before breaking his opponent’s throw to move the match within one leg of parity. By holding throw in 17 darts Hanel did indeed draw level with Clegg. In 19 darts Clegg regained the momentum by holding throw before he broke the Hanel throw in the next leg to win the match 6-4 and secure the Saturday tournament at the Warilla Bowls and Recreation club.

In South Australia Danny Porter made it through to his second final of the weekend. He had made it past Steve Letts by five legs to three in their semi-final. His opponent would be Jed Nethercott who had eliminated the ever consistent Adam Leek by five legs to two in their semi-final. The final saw a shocker of a first leg but Porter eventually held throw before breaking his opponent’s throw in the second leg. He then held in the third leg in 18 darts before breaking the Nethercott throw in 15 darts in the next leg before finally Nethercott made it onto the scoreboard by breaking the Porter throw in the fifth leg. However Porter was not done and he soon made it 5-1, by breaking Nethercott’s throw in what would turn out to be the penultimate leg of the match. The final leg was less dramatic as Porter held throw despite not getting a triple figure effort recorded for him in the final leg. Thus another championship was collected by Danny Porter in South Australia.

Western Australia saw David Platt return to the winner’s circle once again. Platt had made the final by beating Brenton Lloyd 5-1 in the semi final stage whilst his challenger in the final, Howard Jones, had won his match in a deciding leg, 5-4, over Joe Comito. The final saw Platt break the Jones throw only for Jones to break back immediately. Jones then held throw in 17 darts to lead 2-1 but he would not take another leg as Platt held in 17 darts, then broke in 12 darts (checking out 100), before he held and broke once again, both in 16 darts, and then held throw in 13 darts for the match, including three successive 140s to start the eighth leg. For Platt it was his second event win of the year, backing up his first win on the last weekend of darting action at the Port Kennedy Tavern.


About Post Author