Tim Pusey made a welcome return to the winning circle on Friday night at the Warilla Bowls and Recreation Club. He took out the final of the DPA Daley Darts Kyle Anderson Memorial Trophy and be doing so became the first Australian to hold that honour.

Pusey defeated David Cairns 6-2 in the quarter finals with his semi final opponent set after Mal Cuming won in a deciding leg against NSW number one Dave Marland. GG Mathers returned to Australian competition with a quarter final win over Anton Soc 6-2 and he would take on another player recently returned from PDC competition, Bailey Marsh, after Marsh eliminated Daniel Pearson 6-1.

The first semi final saw Mathers and Marsh split the first four legs, although Mathers left chasing a 68 check out. Two legs later he missed the bull for another chance at break and Marsh took the leg after his next visit to move the match back to equity at 3-3. After holding throw Mathers was finally able to take his shot at a break on his third attempt and then held throw to win the match 6-3.

The second semi final saw Pusey and Cuming open the match by holding throw before Pusey checked out 102 to take out the third leg, holding throw to double his leg lead. He then broke his opponent once more with a 115 check out. Cuming got one break straight back in 14 darts to move the match to 4-2. Pusey then broke for a third time and finished the match with a 122 check out to win 6-2.

The final saw Pusey hold throw before taking his chance to break the Mathers throw after his opponent left 5 chasing a 130 check out and then was unable to convert 5 on his next visit. He then held throw to lead 3-0 but Mathers was not done yet. The Queenslander held throw in 15 darts before Pusey made it 4-1. Mathers held throw in 16 darts before breaking with a 12 dart, 134 check out, leg. He then held throw in 14 darts to tie the match at four all. Pusey then held throw to return to the lead before Mathers held in 14 darts once again to move the final to a deciding leg. Pusey had the throw and opened with a ton. He moved his way to 116 but his attempt at that check out left 16. Mathers then had an outside shot at 145 but left a two dart finish at 58. He never got darts at it as Pusey stepped up the oche and collected double eight with his next dart to take out the event.

Pusey was delighted afterwards, “It is always difficult to go across the country and then play and to do so well tonight was fantastic. I always enjoy playing GG and we had a great game tonight once again. I won on the first weekend of the DPA season and have won on the final weekend which is great. To be the first Australian to hold this trophy is a great honour and to be able to have a Western Australian win it I think is special too.”


About Post Author